Division of Academic Engagement and Student Achievement LSAMP: Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation
LSAMP Bridge Leaders
Our student LSAMP Bridge Leaders serve as mentors on the WSU campus in the areas of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
LSAMP Bridge Leaders help LSAMP Scholars who are WSU incoming freshmen, transfers, and current LSAMP participants by:
- Getting them connected with research opportunities and resources.
- Assisting in the planning and organizing of workshops and events for the LSAMP program.
- Creating a comfortable, diverse community for underrepresented minorities in STEM.
Bridge Leaders are expected to:
- Regularly communicate with first-year and transfer students.
- Co-coordinate LSAMP activities (i.e., conferences, trainings, banquets).
- Participate in weekly trainings (i.e., cultural competencies, professional development).
Become a Bridge Leader
- Leadership and professionalization Training
- Improve communication and collaboration skills
- Networking with faculty and industry
- Tailored letters of recommendation
- Increase self-confidence level
- Improve organizational skills
- Two semester stipends
- Must be a full time STEM student
- Have a 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Have attended at least two years at WSU (48 credits) or more
- Demonstrate high ethical standards and cultural competency
- Must commit to 6-7 hours a week
- Must Communicate and work well with others