The Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (LSAMP) Program is aimed at increasing the quality and quantity of students successfully completing science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) baccalaureate degree programs, and increasing the number of students interested in, academically qualified for and matriculating into programs of graduate study. LSAMP supports sustained and comprehensive approaches that facilitate achievement of the long-term goal of increasing the number of students who earn doctorates in STEM fields, particularly those from populations underrepresented in these fields.
The Alliance is administered at the University of Washington’s Seattle campus in partnership with staff from each participating partner. Pacific Northwest LSAMP partners implement best practices in STEM diversity initiatives that have been disseminated by existing LSAMP programs around the country. Program vision and direction is provided by an advisory board of chief academic officers, diversity officers and deans from participating institutions. The advisory board works to ensure that the commitment to addressing under representation in STEM is both enduring and institution wide.
Eligibility for some of the student support mechanisms managed by the WSU LSAMP program is restricted to students who have a background that is underrepresented* in STEM-related field. Of course, students from all backgrounds who support our mission of bridging the gap for underrepresented students in STEM are welcome at our events and programming!
Additional Eligibility Criteria
- Enrolled at WSU in an undergraduate STEM major.
- Expressed interest in pursuing a STEM baccalaureate degree.
- Expressed interest in pursuing an advanced degree in a STEM discipline.
- US citizen or permanent resident.
* African American/Black, Hispanic/Latinx, Native American/Indian, and Pacific Islander. Representation in STEM fields for these ethnic groups has traditionally been much lower than it should be based on the ethnic composition of our general population. Please review the NSF Program Solicitation for more information.
PNW LSAMP Partners
- Boise State University
- College of Western Idaho
- Discovery Center of Idaho
- Linn-Benton Community College
- Mathematics Engineering Science and Achievement (MESA) – Oregon
- Mathematics Engineering Science and Achievement (MESA) – Washington
- Oregon State University
- Pacific Science Center
- Portland State University
- Saturday Academy
- Seattle Central Community College
- University of Washington
- Washington State University
- Yakima Valley Community College